Saturday, June 1, 2013

4th Semester in a Nutshell

So I finally let loose...4th Semester was the semester I finally got a little (ok A LOT) crazy, joined some clubs and decided to enjoy school and island life.  Terrified that I would fail out of vet school, I limited my participation in clubs and other extracurricular activities in semesters 1-3 (translation: I didn't do anything but study for my first year here).  I went a little overboard though, this was just a glimpse of what I was able to be a part of last semester:

Pathology Club
  •  Weekly club meetings
  • 2 necropsies
  • Cake off
Rabbit Pathology - Uterine Adenocarcinoma
 - 1st Place!!!
ZEW (Zoo, Exotics, and Wildlife) Club
  • Zoo Clean up (Fecal/Mite sample collection)
  • Fecal Exam Reading (from samples collected) - My Valentine's present to myself :-)
  • Dirt Cup Fundraiser Sale (vanilla/chocolate pudding with oreos and whipped cream with gummy worms on top, ohhhhh yeah!!!)



Small Ruminant Club
  • Sheep Processing
    • Administering Coccidiostats
    • De-worming
    • BCS Scoring
    • FAMACHA Scoring
    • Hoof Trimming
    • Horn Trimming
We can't take pictures on campus, but these are the sheep


  • Women's Bible Study (weekly on Sunday nights)
  • Discipleship (Theology/Apologetics) Bible Study (weekly on Thursday nights)
  • Short term Mission Trip preparedness meetings (with a group that was preparing for their April trip to Nicaragua) and to prepare for my trip in August :-D (weekly on Monday nights)
  • Good Friday Beach Church Service
  • Children's Church Teacher (just for one Sunday)
  • SCAVMA Meeting to get approval for Christian Veterinary Fellowship (see this post: )

Research Assistant for “Does pain perception and response to pain relieving drugs differ between horses and donkeys?” research project (25 hours for the semester)
  • administered dosages of phenylbutazone/placebo (molasses)
  • tested their nociceptive responses
I got to wake up to 20 of these faces!!!  I would treat at least one morning/week, treat a few afternoons/week and test one morning/week last semester:
Donkeys!!! (I wish I could take a picture of the actual donkeys, they were so adorable!


Abbatoir visit with the Public Health Club - so much fun!!!  Learning about Meat Inspection

As a part of our semesterly duties we were required to:
  • bathe 2 of the kennel dogs (one Saturday morning of the semester)
  • clean the aviary (one day of the semester)
Clinic Volunteer day (at the VTH) - As 4th Semesters we get to work one morning in the hospital with our professors/clinicians.

Clinical Skills I learned this past semester:
  • Square knots (hand ties and with instruments)
  • Surgeon's knots (hand ties and with instruments)
  • Miller's knots (hand ties and with instruments)
  • Ligatures of large and small vessels/structures
  • Simple Interrupted Suture Patterns
This semester was FULL of exams.  Don't get me wrong, I love having lots of opportunities to do well in a class but in a period of 14 weeks we had 14 EXAMS!!!





Not only do that leave less time in my schedule to stay caught up in classes, but each exam also comes with a review session that takes at least 30 minutes.  These are good because you get to determine where you went wrong with the concepts, just do the math 14 exams, 30 minute exam review = 7 hours of just learning from my mistakes!









For my Veterinary Public Health and Epidemiology course I got the first step of my USDA Accreditation (about 10 hours of modules with quizzes).


To top this wonderful and challenging semester off, I was able to visit South Africa for a trip with WildlifeVets to learn about Wildlife Conservation Medicine (see this post:  ).  Such a great experience I had to make a whole separate post about it!

Such a busy semester, but I wouldn't trade all of the practical experience for better grades.  I finally feel like I'm able to connect some concepts with clinical applications and it feels GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment