Saturday, June 15, 2013

I'm going to HAITI!!!

So I had planned for over 2 years (since before I even found out I was accepted to Ross) that while I was in vet school I would  go on a short term mission trip.  Let me back up and give you some background information on my thought process.  It started out as an interest in joining the military because of the tremendous humanitarian missions that they do.  I was hesitant because there's never any guarantee that you get to choose where or how long you get to go and it what ways you are able to help.  My passion truly lies in being able to use my degree as a veterinarian to help the animals' human :-)

Most students going into vet school think, "I don't want to work with people, that's why I'm going to vet school!"  Well, that's kind of backwards because without the owner the animal would probably never make it in to see you and animals can't pay the bills (for those wanting to go into clinical practice).  After going through Veterinary Public Health and Epidemiology last semester, the topics discussed in the class are definitely the direction that I want to go.  My heart hurts for those that cannot provide quality protein sources and clean water.  I feel I can have the most impact and hope to help those that want help and allow them to sustain any changes implemented that improve their quality of life through long term missions.  I say this with some hesitation because of the connotations and negative experiences that some may have had.  Someone once said that "being a Christian missionary is just another form of cultural imperialism".  While this may have been their perspective and this person's experience, I pray that this is not how any work I do would be perceived.  I don't want to force people to be like me in culture, practice, or even religion - I just want to use my knowledge to work with them to improve their health.

Well this semester has been a roller coaster, I was planning on going to India to work with Christian Veterinary Missions on a rural project of spays/neuters and vaccination/de-worming of cattle.  My aunt and uncle were missionaries for 30 years, 12 of which were in the same province I was hoping to go, Tamil Nadu.  I signed up for the trip but due to lack of interest, the trip was canceled.  I was heartbroken to say the least, as this semester break is likely my last opportunity to get experience outside of school before I start my clinical year in April (hopefully). 

I say all of this to share some exciting news, I will be embarking on a short term mission trip to Haiti for this semester break! This trip fits perfectly into what I envisioned and exceeds many of the items I wished for in an experience.  I will be joining CVM long-term fieldworker, Dr. Kelly Crowdis who facilitates a sustainability project called "Give a Kid to a Kid".  Here is a video that tells more about her program:


This project is used to help the children gain confidence, instill a sense of responsibility, and educate them on how to care for and profit from their livestock.  The children are able to provide for their families through the products of the goats.  The people of Haiti use the animals as a bank account, so having healthy productive animals ensures they have a better quality of life.  The goal of this program is to be sustainable, so the second kid their goat produces goes back to the program and is given to another child.

Here is my video requesting support:


The total cost for the trip is $2000 which includes transportation, lodging, meals, and project expenses.  I am hoping to raise the money before August 1st. 

You can donate either via:

-Christian Veterinary Missions
 https://www.cvmusa.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=3161 
(if you would like to claim your donation as a tax deduction)

-Google Drive document
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Haw4FHdzJEMll3SXpsYWFMQmc/edit?usp=sharing
(to mail a payment to CVM)

-You Caring Donation Site
https://www.youcaring.com/mission-trip-fundraiser/destination-haiti-sustaining-kids-with-kids/64563
(for credit card donations or smaller amounts)

Any contribution, large, small or through prayer is appreciated!  If you have any questions, please ask!  I may not know the answer but I can ask Dr. Crowdis or my folks at CVM and we'll learn together.  I am so excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment